Ep101 - Andrew Butler and Jonno McCartney: How To Comply with Your Plumbing and Electrical Needs with the New Residential Tenancies Act
There is a lot of confusion with investors with what they have to do with the new residential tenancy laws that came into effect in march this year, in regards to making sure their properties are compliant to be occupied. So many investors are getting out of the residential rental market because it's all too much to take on board. Today we are going to give you an easy guide of what you need to do to make sure your investment properties are compliant and how to keep on top of your rental obligations.
Today we have two amazing trades, keen to educate and help our listeners who are investors, or looking to buy an investment property, understand the new residential tenancy laws. First up, Andrew Butler- Managing Director of Butler Plumbing- A family owned maintenance plumbing company which is about to celebrate 35 years in the business, as well as the passionate, charismatic, talented and all-round good guy, Director of McCartney Electrical Solutions, Jonno McCartney, who runs a team of highly skilled and quality driven staff who are dedicated to providing top notch service to the aged care, NDIS, real estate and construction industries.
1. What's considered an urgent repair when it comes to the new laws?
2. Why are we doing these checks? Who benefits?
3. Now there are some things that need to be checked frequently, I'll run down a list, and you can tell me if they are required by law to be checked and how often?
a. Smoke detectors?
b. Gas heaters including ducted heating systems?
c. Kitchen appliances - oven, stove, cooktop, dishwasher?
e. Hot water service?
f. Air conditioners and evaporative cooling systems?
4. Now guys, what happens after you've done all the checking, where does the paper trail go?
5. If the property is changing hands with a new tenant, does the new tenant receive copies of the compliance checks, or at least given the dates of when they were last checked?
6. As it's something that is easily forgotten, who is responsible for scheduling the next check? The plumber/electrician, or the property manager?
a. Do you have a scheduling service to book the service check well ahead, like 2-5 years?
7. Is there anything else investors or even tenants should know about these compliance checks?
Andrew Butler is offering 10% discount on the normal rate for safety checks until end of November. Contact Andrew from Butler Plumbing on 0418 549 093 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jonno McCartney is offering $280+GST for smoke detector and electrical check. Contact Jonno McCartney on 1300 030 391 or email: email@example.com
Call the 'Real Copy Right' Hotline:
- Rental copy
- Staff profiles for your new and existing staff members
- Marketing letters/emails
- Newsletter articles
- Marketing material for listing kits, mail outs, etc
- Website blogs
- Large scale development brochures and websites